Friday, June 15, 2012

Home Away From Home

It seems like these days my home away from home is a place filled with needles, ultra sound equipments, and some of the most amazing sonographers and nurses that I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. My home away from home has been a fertility center, and as weird as it sounds, it isn't half bad.

Four years ago I was 26 years old, had been married about a year and was so excited that Rhett and I had made the decision to try and start a family. As most people, I thought it would take a few months, I'd get pregnant, and then boom, instant family. Well, as we now know, that plan didn't go exactly as planned. Infertility has caused a lot of pain, stress, and taken it's toll on us emotionally, physically, and definitely financially. There are things I am thankful for in this journey, and the main one being the amazing staff at FCI where I go for my treatments. The sonographers, nurses, and anyone else I've come in contact with has made me feel loved, cared for, and like I have some cheerleaders in the corner rooting for us, and hoping and praying that we achieve our dream someday. I have spent quite a few days in the past years in that office, and I actually enjoy going, being welcomed by smiling faces, and reassured by compassionate nurses when I start to freak out about something small, or in some cases, something big. I have spent everyday in the office since Sunday, and truth be told, I actually look forward to going. Just today, I got to sit down and chat with my favorite nurses, and it made me so happy to see them and know that they are more than just nurses they're friends. They care about my outcome, and they care about me. It's a really nice feeling to have, that you're being looked after in the best way possible. I feel fortunate to have fostered relationships there, and to be on a first name basis with a lot of the staff, I just hope soon, I'll be bringing our little one or ones in for a visit, not for labs and ultrasound!

Speaking of labs and ultrasound, my follicles continue to grow, my estrogen has been yo-yoing a bit, so my meds have been increased to try and help with that. I am feeling very relaxed, but a bit uncomfortable in my stomach and low back from all these shots and enlarged ovaries. It will all be worth it though! They are thinking my egg retrieval should be Monday or Tuesday, as long as everything keeps growing and numbers keep rising. Please keep the prayers and positive thoughts coming, we feel them and appreciate them! Happy Friday!

1 comment:

  1. You two are always in our prayers and our thoughts. May greater blessings soon be upon you.

    ReplyDelete